Thursday, July 20, 2006

Nipple confusion

AT eleven weeks, you would think Zoe would be able to handle the difference between the boob and the bottle.

But no.

When the nanny was around, Zoe had one or two feeds a days via the bottle whenever I went out. After the nanny left, there was no need to bottle feed her coz I was always around. However, on Tuesday I needed to pop out for a little while so I got Liz to give her the bottle and she TOTALLY rejected it!

We tried several times on Tuesday and Wednesday but each time Zoe would FREAK OUT. She would gag when the nipple was put into her mouth. She would struggle and fight to get away from the bottle. And as we continued to force her to take the bottle, she would just get so worked up.

Finally, I called in Nurse J to help solve this HUGE problem. You see, unless Zoe can take the bottle I would never be able to go out - or if I did she'd have to come!

Nurse J came today and again Zoe rejected a bottle feed. Nurse J ended up teaching Liz how to feed the baby with a spoon and a syringe - a VERY tiresome and time-consuming task.

Zoe got checked out and all is well with her. She now weighs 6.2kg so feeding off the boob obviously works well for her!

Just before Nurse J left, she tried the bottle again and Zoe managed a few sucks...

There is hope!

No comments: