Monday, March 13, 2006

The first cut is the deepest - or is it?

Between 31 and 32 weeks, I am already a hefty 64kg!!!! The scales grunt and groan each time I step on them. So far, I've put on about 11kg... Ooof!

They say this is pretty "average" and it seems that in the next few weeks, I can expect to put on another 5-7kg. Double Ooof!

Y put on about 20kg, hitting 72kg. K piled on 22kg with Marcus. But C only had a light padding of 14kg altogether: How I wish I had her genes! (Speaking of jeans(!), less than four months after C gave birth, she was back in her size 25 Blue cults! Ohhhhh, I SO want her jeans/genes!)

Anyway, all three of these mums had C-sections and all of them were back in shape faster than you could change a nappy. So it is somewhat of a fallacy that you can't really lose weight unless you deliver naturally.

Which brings me to The Delivery Issue:

Our first pre-natal class was on Saturday. Zzzzz.

We were supposed to find out about the delivery process but the doc went off tangent and we didn't really find out anything about how to have a baby.

The doc said: "Oh by the time you're in here, there's nothing you can do and you will be in good hands. We'll be guiding you along so don't worry."

He went on instead to tell us what to look out for from now till all hell breaks loose so that we would know if anything was going wrong.

Good to know but not quite what I needed to know.

You see, D and I are considering our delivery options: To C or not to C, that is the question.

At the moment, I am leaning like the Tower of P towards a C.

I have already spoken to my doc here about it and I will be speaking to another two Obs when I go to Singapore in two weeks.

There are pros and cons to both procedures...

* You deal with the tummy pain or the other pain. Either way you are going to get cut up. Personally, I'd much rather deal with a pain in my gut.

* The whole looooong, gunky "natural" process... I think if it can be avoided, then why not.

* There are other consequences of a natural birth that may long stay with you. Trust me - VERY ICKY!

* It may allow me to deliver in Singapore - but I will do so ONLY if I can return home (KL) immediately after we are discharged from the hospital. Of course I will be discussing whether this is even possible (3-4 hours by VW?) with the two Obs in Singapore AND it will also depend on how long it will take for Mopi's to get her snapshot stuck in my passport (I am looking into this now). But there are advantages to having the baby via C in Singapore - my doc is a super-skilled tailor, Mt E Hospital (need I say more!) and most importantly, that means my foggies, D's parents, and our good mates can have a peep at Mopi before we go home!

Anyway I am keeping an open mind and am still doing the research. But it's good to have CHOICES.

But if I go for a C, it will mean that I will deliver earlier... 37-38 weeks instead of 40.

Which means Mopi may be out in 5-6 weeks!!!!!!!

*shock*

No comments: