Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Colostrum... huh?

I first noticed a "pearl" a while back... maybe when I was about 20-ish weeks.

It was kinda weird. Kinda gross.

I told C about it and she was all gushy: "Ohhh S, you have colostrum!"

Well since then, there have been more pearls.

Yesterday, I realised that I had some slight grazes, a bit of skin had come off and had healed over.

All I can say is that the internet is a wonderful thing. The things you learn....

Colostrum

It is possible for a woman to start producing 'colostrum' any time after about 14 to 16 weeks of the pregnancy. Colostrum is the first fluid a woman's breasts produce and is a clear or creamy-yellow substance that is syrupy in consistency. It is possible for some women to hand express colostrum from their nipples during pregnancy, or to slightly leak colostrum occasionally, especially if this is not your first baby. (Be aware that leaking colostrum during pregnancy does not happen for every woman and your milk may not become obviously noticeable until after your baby is born.) If you are leaking colostrum and it is becoming annoying, you may need to wear breast pads inside your bra.

It is normal for some women to notice a small amount of blood mixed with the colostrum that may come away during pregnancy. This comes from within the breast and is caused by the rapid growth of blood vessels in the growing ductal system, in preparation for breastfeeding. Also, drops of blood may also be seen on the bra because the sticky colostrum temporarily 'glues' the nipple to the inside of the bra and a tiny bit of nipple skin is removed with the bra, which does heal.

2 comments:

ZoEmma said...

But it's like 1 drop so I don't think its any indication....

eeeps!

W.E.I.R.D!

Janice said...

ok you win!