Saturday, May 27, 2006

The two hour dinner outing

Is it a new motherhood thing? Or is it just a case of having to get back into the swing of things?

Whatever the case, socialising last night, after being rather hermit-like for three and a half weeks, was pretty surreal.

Don't get me wrong. It was nice getting out of the house and I had a good laugh (for the wrong reasons - but I won't go into it here!), but it was kinda... bizarre.

We were a little late to the party coz...

1. I had to figure out what to wear.

With the "amazing shrinking belly", I thought I'd be able to squeeze into my bigger pre-preggo jeans/pants. How demented was I?!?!? All I have to say is: Damn those Oreos!

2. I had to feed Zoe.

When we left her she was peacefully snoozing...

Bye bye my little one... Mommy will be home soon!




So D and I were the last ones to arrive at R's farewell do at about 8.30pm.

We were greeted with a rush of well-wishers and congratulatory kisses.

It was all rather overwhelming. People... faces... open palms... all thrusting at me.

I had to sit down and take a moment.

It was weird coz I was looking forward to getting out and then suddenly I wanted to be home.

It wasn't coz I missed Zoe.

It wasn't coz I felt bad leaving her.

It wasn't coz I was worried about things.

It was coz a wave of fatigue crashed over me.

The night hadn't even started! And to think after dinner, we were supposed to meet Ling for drinks too!

Anyway, we were soon seated at our table with two other (elderly) couples. Small talk, small talk, small talk... (this was the very amusing part of the night!)

At 9.30pm, after slurping a very interesting take on tom yum soup and scoffing down a too brown-saucey cod, I excused myself to call home. When Maritess picked up the phone, I could hear Zoe wailing in the background. The poor kid was demanding food and the nanny was frantically trying to thaw the very frozen milk. But all was well and I returned to my seat...

More small talk, small talk, small talk... and trio of decadent desserts - choc mousse, tiramisu and creme brulee... And then, it was 10.30pm.

I had had it. I did the eye signal thing and D caught on. We said our goodbyes coz "we had to be home for Zoe's 11.00pm feed".

We were home after two hours... on a Friday night.

Needless to say, we didn't end up going to Zeta to meet L for drinks.

Fail.

No comments: