Sunday, June 4, 2006

Practice makes perfect outings

Boy did we have a busy weekend!


Early Saturday morning, D took Zoe out in her pram to the corner shop to buy the papers. She enjoyed her outing so much that he decided to try out the Baby Bjorn carrier.

Since all was going well with the "outings", we decided to strike while the iron was hot.

The plan was to take Zoe with us to lunch (ie to satisfy my Chilli's Cajun Chicken Sandwich craving) and to grab some groceries. We decided to head to BSC in Bangsar, a relatively quiet shopping centre.

I had calculated her feeding times and figured that by the time she needed to chow-down, we'd be tucked in a relatively private booth at Chilies and I would be able to b-feed her.

But when we got there about 1.30pm, the place was packed. Seems everyone with a kid had the same idea as us.

We got put on the waitlist, giving us about half an hour to kill, so we went walkabout.

Bad idea.

We made it to Royal Sporting House when Zoe decided she was STARVING. Let me tell you she's pretty loud and her wails had everyone staring at me like I was some kind of kid abuser.

This brought to mind wise words: Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.

D had zipped off to buy some stuff for tennis and I was left holding the baby. It was quite traumatic coz I knew the only thing that would settle her was food and there wasn't a Mother's Room to be found!

Between wails, I desperately waved at D who dumped his stuff and came running out of the shop. We scuttled to the food court on the top floor where I found a secluded corner and 'silenced' her.

*Stress*

Things calmed down after that... and the outing was deemed somewhat of a success.

Being gluttons for punishment, we decided to try another excursion today.

This time it was brunch at a suburban mall, about half an hour from the city centre where we live.

But in our excitement to get there, Zoe missed her naptime (it's a small window). So when we arrived, she started fussing and ended up rather cranky. It was also kinda noisy and busy there which frustrated her even more in her tired state.

*Stress*

To keep things calm (ie quiet), I ended up having to eat my food while holding her. I also had to give her two comfort nurses at the restaurant and a Mother's Room, despite me bringing a bottle along so I wouldn't have to b-feed!

Despite this, D and I refused to throw in the towel. Since we were there, we were going to jolly well walk around a little and have leisurely post-lunch coffee (YUM! Latte!) at the Starbucks in Borders (while flipping through gossip rags).

In the end, D ended up carrying Zoe for quite a while (the only way she'd be quiet) as we walked around the mall, flipped through magazines and sipped milky coffee. Then, he wound up with major cramps in his arm!

*Sigh* But let me tell you it's SO good to be out and about.

So rather than subscribing to the once bitten twice shy philosophy, we'll go with third time lucky!

Here's to next weekend!

PS: The little one is so exhausted that we're actually quite relaxed now...

All's well that ends well.

No comments: