Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Day 35: Bye bye Nanny

Our nanny left us yesterday.

I really don't know who was saddest - Ah Ying, Zoe or me.

Ah Ying was overly chirpy in the morning, unsuccessfully trying to cover up how upset she really was at leaving.

She's come to really love little Zoe. I guess after 30 days of sleeping with her and caring for her round the clock, she was bound to get attached.

All morning, Ah Ying kept giving Zoe little pep talks: Zoe hen gwai. Zoe yao ting hwa. (Zoe is a good girl. Zoe must be good.) ...and a whole load of other stuff in Mandarin I didn't understand.

But Zoe understood, she listened intently as Ah Ying lectured her on proper baby behaviour and cooed and oooed in response.

Then just before she left, Ah Ying gave her a super generous ang pow for luck. Somehow Zoe knew Ah Ying was saying goodbye and she suddenly bawled.

Ah Ying's been so great to have. She's really been such a help. And she's just so sweet and nice. So her leaving is such a loss. I tried to get her to stay on (forever!) but her Dad is celebrating his 85th birthday in a week and she has loads of family stuff to organise.

Anyway, I was so sad to see her go and I actually teared. If it hadn't been for her false bravado, I would have wailed along with Zoe. (Hormones la!)

After she left, Zoe and I tried to comfort each other and an hour later, Ah Ying was calling to find out how Zoe was! She missed us too!

D came home early to help out with things. We took Zoe for a walk in the hopes of tiring her out a bit for the night ahead. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work coz Zoe had tummy rumbles and was very restless. Cry rrrryyy ccrrrrryyyyyyyy

Maybe she missed Ah Ying... but let me tell you, we missed her even more!

Ah Ying just rang again! She wanted to find out how the night went with the baby. I filled her in and actually teared when she said: Wo hen xiang Zoe (I really miss Zoe)!

Sigh. I need to get a grip.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep playing havoc with my emotions. Everyone else is getting some Z's. D went back to bed at 10.45am. It's now past noon. (He took today off work to help with the transition.) And Zoe finally decided to snooze.

I, on the other hand, am waiting for the new nanny to arrive before I PASS OUT!

I hope she will be as great as Ah Ying...

What will the one be like?

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Aww, she's so cute in the picture of the Pink Ah Ying.