Saturday, April 21, 2007

The cake

IT was really fun making Z's birthday cake - despite a mini crisis.

I was right on schedule.

Thursday: The marzipan toppings coloured and shaped.
Friday: Two batches each of fluffy Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Cupcakes & Valrhona Dark Chocolate Cupcakes were baked. A complicated Swiss Meringue Buttercream was also whipped up, coloured and set aside.

But on Saturday, three hours before the party, I pulled out the buttercream and P.L.O.P. Dead, drippy buttercream.

Crisis! What's a birthday without cake!

Had to dash out to a baking shop to get more ingredients. And this time, I was taking no chances. Decided on a simpler buttercream recipe and stuck in some meringue powder to make sure the humidity and heat wasn't going to mess with my icing.

As you can imagine, just two hours to go: Mayhem!

But it all worked out. Phew.

A garden theme made the decorating easier.

There were ladybugs...


...green grubs...


...and Zoe's favourite insect - bees!


And here is the final product in all its glory.


There was also a tray a mini cupcakes for the kids but I forgot to take a picture of them.

No comments: