Friday, September 25, 2009

Cebei Haio and other Singlish phrases


DEFINITION: A Hokkien term describing someone as flirtatious and/or vain.

One of Z's great daily highlights is to look through her very extensive wardrobe to select her an outfit, even for the playground. But there is such glee when we are going kai kai and a"beee-yooo-ti-fool" dress is usually chosen.

I'm more of a jeans and tank person so I don't really know where she gets this from, my pink loving princess.

Her lips have been very dry lately and I bought her a strawberry chapstick. She has taken to carrying it around in her handbag and whipping it out at regular intervals to apply her "leepstik".

I looked up the definition of haio and found a Singlish dictionary online. Some words sure did make me laugh, especially when I thought of some perplexed ang mo trying to figure out the local lingo:

Your Head: Mild curse used to disabuse someone of his or her erroneous assumption.
"She? Win Miss Universe? Your head, lah!"

Whack: meaning to do something with reckless abandon.
"Wah he go buffet and whack."

Ya ya Papaya: meaning boastful, or showing off
"Don't be so ya ya Papaya, I warn you."

Havoc: Used to describe a wild child, or someone who’s promiscuous.
“Ah Lien is damn havoc one.”

Vomit Blood: Literal translation from the Hokkien phrase "tor hwee", which is used to describe undergoing extreme difficulty, intense suffering or great irritation. "Vomit" is often pronounced "womit".
Ah Beng: "Yesterday, hor, I teach my son Maths, teach until vomit blood."

From: http://www.lumpar.com/a.htm

No comments: